Kim isn’t alone in his flamboyant choices. Lotte Department Store plans to launch an accessories corner just for men on the fifth floor of its main store in fall since more and more people come to menswear shops to buy accessories like lapel pins and key chains. Lotte also plans to open more stores for men’s clothes. "Flamboyant fashion is in for men in their 20s and 30s, and even during the low season its popularity is soaring,” says a Lotte staffer. This so-called “peacock revolution” is a godsend for businesses during the spending slump.
◆Extravagance breathes life into consumer spending
Sales for conventional suits with the emphasis on comfort are stagnating, but sales of super-slim semi-formal suits have more than doubled in the first half of the year, according to the industry. Men’s casual brand Intermezzo presented an “extreme slim” collection for the fall, slimming down the width of current slim suits by another as 2.5 cm. “Thanks to the ‘perfect body’ syndrome among men, suits that expose the body silhouette are getting popular,” an Intermezzo staffer says.
Even traditional suit makers like Cheil Industry and LG Fashion are launching more flamboyant lines with emphasis on design. “Straight and boring clothes no longer hold their place in today’s market. Men in their 20s and 30s, in particular are buying extravagant suits, and their purchasing power doesn’t lag behind those in their the 40s,” an LG Fashion insider said.
Shinsegae Department store now runs outlets targeting men in their 20s and 30s such as the Rookieblue and MSF in its main store. The explosive popularity of men’s fashion has led to the fall of gender boundary for women’s brand. Women’s suit brand TIME has launched a line for men, TIME homme. Casual clothing brand Thursday Island, which mostly made clothes for women, introduced Thursday Island for Men, with others following the suit like codes-combine’s codes-combine for man and Beanpole’s Beanpole Homme.
◆Purses for men
More and more men’s accessories are also available. Every day, about 30 purses for men are being sold at Louis Vuitton and Prada in the Galleria department store. Watches, at one point nearly extinct because of cell phones, are back. And more than 5,000 items of men’s jewelry were sold on Internet shopping site Auction, 60 percent up from the year before. Small earrings and necklaces are especially popular. Kim Jung-hee from the Samsung Fashion Institute said, "In the past, comfort was the most important thing in men’s fashion, but now it’s style. The younger generation’s desire to stand out is reflected in their fashions as well.”
Friday, July 27, 2007
- ► 2010 (62)
- ► 2009 (261)
- ► 2008 (219)
- Gene for left-handedness is found
- Michael Vick: Racism versus responsibility
- Music Videos
- Wow - Skloot didn't jump into the pond when I walk...
- Spike in a tree
- MMMMMMM Mystery goop!!!
- Falcons' Vick bites hand that feeds him
- 'Nerd' taunt drove Navy man to arson
- Look for criminals in your family tree
- Sentences Vary When Kids Die in Hot Cars
- When punk ruled in the Garden City
- Queen guitarist wraps studies for doctorate
- Henry Rollins: Post-Punk Pundit
- More Indians in 'city of widows'
- Peacock Revolution' Boosts Menswear Sales
- Can pets sense illness?
- Cairo toe earliest fake body bit
- Spike & Lilies
- Kobe & Mooch today
- Skloot a few days ago
- Japan: 'Sukiyaki Western Django' to Compete at Ven...
- Study Says Obesity Can Be Contagious
- Hong Kong: Stephen Chow Denies 'Green Hornet' Invi...
- Hong Kong: Stephen Chow to Star in 'Green Hornet'
- Iggy Pop Blasts The Stooges Biopics In Pipeline
- Further rise in sex disease figures
- Africa cradle of humankind, study shows
- The forgotten stories of punk
- Fresco fragment revives Papal scandal
- The Top 10 Weirdest and Funniest Japanese Condoms
- Wagner's guardian
- A simple man
- Hong Kong: Nicholas Tse the Next Jackie Chan?
- Roots manoeuvre
- Ventura police arrest man for torturing Bob the to...
- HAPPY FRIDAY the 13th!!!
- Lesbian Gangs: A National Threat?
- SHE SAYS, HE SAYS
- Celebrity Interview: Lee Jun Ki More Than Just A P...
- Condom-maker asks for 200 testers
- Small amounts of dark chocolate lower blood pressu...
- The magic lily blooms
- Music Videos
- ▼ July (45)