A giant straw goat erected each Christmas in a northern Swedish town has been burned down - yet again.
The 13m-high (43ft) animal in Gavle has been torched 23 times since it was first erected in 1966. It has also been hit by a car and had its legs cut off.
The vandals are rarely caught, though in 2001 a 51-year-old American tourist spent 18 days in jail after being convicted of setting it alight.
In 2007, the goat managed to make it through the festive season unscathed.
Goat committee spokeswoman Anna Ostman said she was saddened to learn that this year's unlucky creature had been set on fire early on Saturday morning.
But she said: "We have been so happy that he survived through Christmas Eve, which is the toughest period every year.
"So far this year, people from 105 countries have followed the goat via the webcams and many become really sad when they learn that he's burned down."
The 7m-long (23ft), three tonne goat was originally designed to attract tourists to Gavle, which is 106 miles (170km) north of the Swedish capital.
But in its first year it was burned down on New Year's Eve and since then has been attacked regularly.
In 2005, it was torched by two arsonists dressed as Father Christmas and the Gingerbread Man.
Authorities in Gavle have tried to protect the goat using fireproofing chemicals and security guards.
But just 10 of the goats, which are built in the town's central square, have survived beyond Christmas since 1966.
Goats have a special place in Swedish tradition. According to folklore, they delivered festive gifts before Father Christmas took over.
Sunday, December 28, 2008
- ► 2010 (62)
- ► 2009 (261)
- How to keep a hoppy dog in the yard
- Who chewed on the cactus??
- Premarital Abstinence Pledges Ineffective, Study F...
- First Kungfu Heroes 'Flew' with Wires and Pulleys
- Tula, Sinbad & Lily
- I love my new keyboard
- Obituary: Eartha Kitt
- US singer Eartha Kitt dies at 81
- Tokyo’s Lab for Musicians
- The day England died: With three films being made ...
- estive goat up in flames again
- Baby Dionysos w/ Hermes & Silenus
- What Santy left!
- Homosexuality is as great a threat as rainforest d...
- Happy Holidays!!!!
- 'Hobbit' Fossils Represent A New Species, Conclude...
- Sneezing a lot? You must be thinking about sex
- Solve premature ejaculation
- A gay Muslim, tested by faith and family
- Interview: Dir en grey's Shinya
- Study: Lesbian, Bisexual Youths More Likely to Get...
- 'Ancient city unearthed' in Peru
- Blade Man and the spirit of the sword
- Love machine: Computer geek too busy for romance b...
- Amish gene 'limits heart disease'
- Toddlers' toilet seat crush peril
- Tula & bicky
- Lily in the window
- Lily was busy!
- Pet profiling: "Is it because I'm black?"
- With Treats, Dogs Seem to Know What's Fair
- "Prop 8 - The Musical" starring Jack Black, John C...
- Sydney art fuses surf with Islam
- Actor Zo In-sung On the Challenges of Playing Gay
- How 'Britain' got its name from 'Great Land of the...
- Intelligent 'have better sperm'
- Body ink.. record-holding tattooed British pension...
- Evolutionists Flock To Darwin-Shaped Wall Stain
- Better orgasm for women
- Iggy Pop: A lust for life
- Ancient lost city discovered deep in the Amazonian...
- Firm denies workers' comp in racial killing
- ▼ December (43)
- ► 2007 (507)