The ruins of an entire city have been discovered in northern Peru, researchers say.
Archaeologists say the find could provide the missing link between the ancient cultures of the Wari people and the earlier Moche civilisation.
The site, near the Pacific coastal city of Chiclayo, probably dates to the Wari culture which ruled the Andes of modern Peru between the 7th and 12th Century.
The once buried city showed evidence of human sacrifice.
The remains of the victims were thrown over the nearby cliff, Cesar Soriano, the chief archaeologist on the project, told the Andina news agency.
"It provides the missing link because it explains how the Wari people allowed for the continuation of culture after the Moche [died out about 600 AD]," Cesar Soriano was quoted by Reuters as saying.
Mr Soriano said the find provides the first evidence of Wari culture, which was based in the south of the country, at the northern site.
Sunday, December 21, 2008
- ► 2010 (62)
- ► 2009 (261)
- How to keep a hoppy dog in the yard
- Who chewed on the cactus??
- Premarital Abstinence Pledges Ineffective, Study F...
- First Kungfu Heroes 'Flew' with Wires and Pulleys
- Tula, Sinbad & Lily
- I love my new keyboard
- Obituary: Eartha Kitt
- US singer Eartha Kitt dies at 81
- Tokyo’s Lab for Musicians
- The day England died: With three films being made ...
- estive goat up in flames again
- Baby Dionysos w/ Hermes & Silenus
- What Santy left!
- Homosexuality is as great a threat as rainforest d...
- Happy Holidays!!!!
- 'Hobbit' Fossils Represent A New Species, Conclude...
- Sneezing a lot? You must be thinking about sex
- Solve premature ejaculation
- A gay Muslim, tested by faith and family
- Interview: Dir en grey's Shinya
- Study: Lesbian, Bisexual Youths More Likely to Get...
- 'Ancient city unearthed' in Peru
- Blade Man and the spirit of the sword
- Love machine: Computer geek too busy for romance b...
- Amish gene 'limits heart disease'
- Toddlers' toilet seat crush peril
- Tula & bicky
- Lily in the window
- Lily was busy!
- Pet profiling: "Is it because I'm black?"
- With Treats, Dogs Seem to Know What's Fair
- "Prop 8 - The Musical" starring Jack Black, John C...
- Sydney art fuses surf with Islam
- Actor Zo In-sung On the Challenges of Playing Gay
- How 'Britain' got its name from 'Great Land of the...
- Intelligent 'have better sperm'
- Body ink.. record-holding tattooed British pension...
- Evolutionists Flock To Darwin-Shaped Wall Stain
- Better orgasm for women
- Iggy Pop: A lust for life
- Ancient lost city discovered deep in the Amazonian...
- Firm denies workers' comp in racial killing
- ▼ December (43)
- ► 2007 (507)