Saturday, December 06, 2008

Body ink.. record-holding tattooed British pensioner takes Berlin show by storm

By Daily Mail Reporter
Last updated at 2:19 AM on 06th December 2008

Isobel Varley isn't shy of showing her tattoos, as these pictures of her at the Tattoo Convention show in Berlin demonstrate.

She has spent the last 20 years having her body decorated and according to her website, she is in the Guinness Book of Records as the most 'World's most senior tattooed woman'.

Mrs Varley, originally from Yorkshire but now living in Hertfordshire, had her first tattoo in 1986 when she visited a tattoo convention at the Hammersmith Palais in 1986.

Isobel Varley

Isobel Varley: Showing off her tattoos at a Berlin exhibition

'This was the first tattoo convention that we had attended and I was really amazed and aroused by the sheer beauty of some of the tattoos and I was surprised to see people with tattoos.

'I got my first ever tattoo in 1986 at 49 years old. Originally, I was only ever going to have one - a small bird - but I fell in love with it, and developed an addiction.'

Since then she has had dozens of tattoos and by 1997 almost every square cm of her body, including the 'inside of my nether regions and the ends of my toes' were covered.

Isobel Varley

An earlier photo of Isobel seen here showing her wider webs under her arms

She entered her first competition in 1989 'for a tattoo on my back'.

'That's when I first heard of the "full bodysuit" category. Now I've spent 500 hours under the needle,' she said.

But Isobal draws the line at having her face tattooed, 'I want people to be able to see what I look like,' she says.

However, Mrs Varley has no plans to stop showing her tattoos just yet.

Isobel Varley

Isobel aged 66 in 2003 at the 7th Annual International Tattoo Convention in Lausanne, Switzerland

No comments:

Blog Archive