Oct 8 (Reuters) - The World Health Organisation confirmed on its Web site on Monday the death of a 44-year-old Indonesian woman from Pekan Baru city on Sumatra island from bird flu.
The outbreak of highly pathogenic H5N1 avian influenza began in Asia in 2003. Following are some facts about the H5N1 avian flu virus and its spread around the globe.
* Since the virus re-emerged in Asia in 2003, outbreaks have been confirmed in around 60 countries and territories, according to data from the World Organisation for Animal Health.
* More than 30 countries have reported outbreaks in the past year, in most cases involving wild birds such as swans.
* The virus has killed at least 202 people since 2003, according to the WHO. Countries with confirmed human deaths are: Azerbaijan, Cambodia, China, Egypt, Indonesia, Iraq, Laos, Nigeria, Thailand, Turkey and Vietnam.
* In total, the virus is known to have infected 330 people since 2003, according to the WHO. Many of the dead are children and young adults.
* The WHO says Vietnam and Indonesia have the highest number of cases, accounting for 133 of the total deaths.
* The H5N1 virus is not new to science and was responsible for an outbreak of highly pathogenic avian influenza in Scotland in 1959. Britain confirmed new cases in birds in Scotland in April 2006 and in eastern England in February 2007.
* H5N1 is not the only bird flu virus. There are numerous strains. For example, an outbreak in 2003 of the H7N7 bird flu virus in the Netherlands led to the destruction of more than 30 million birds, around a third of the country's poultry stock. About 2.7 million were destroyed in Belgium and around 400,000 in Germany. In the Netherlands, 89 people were infected with the H7N7 virus, of whom one (a veterinarian) died.
* The H5N1 virus made the first known jump into humans in Hong Kong in 1997, infecting 18 people and killing six of them. The government ordered the immediate culling of the territory's entire poultry flock, ending the outbreak.
* Symptoms of bird flu in humans have ranged from typical influenza-like symptoms, such as fever, cough, sore throat and muscle aches, to eye inflammations (conjunctivitis), pneumonia, acute respiratory distress, viral pneumonia, and other severe and life-threatening complications. (Sources: OIE, WHO, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention)
- ► 2010 (62)
- ► 2009 (261)
- ► 2008 (219)
- Woman Jumps From Tokyo Building Onto Man
- 'Suicide blonde' kills three people while trying t...
- Adult-aid maker creates tool to give evolution a h...
- Black pudding ice cream unveiled
- Call for national pet blood bank
- Grannies' kinky knitwear
- Bras - a century of suspension
- Bring on the lesbian vampires
- Industrial-Electronic-Punk icon dies at 46
- Thousands march against the war in S.F., across th...
- Neanderthals 'were flame-haired'
- Prozac 'found in drinking water'
- Barmaid crushed cans with breasts
- Toying with doll lands man in hoosegow
- Man jailed for urinating on woman
- Mother who shaved her daughter's head and pierced ...
- The Japanese ninja skirt that turns into a Coca Co...
- Lee Jun Ki vs Leslie Cheung
- Opus Comics, by Bloom County's Berkeley Breathed
- Punk Globe Magazine
- Genetics And "Race"
- Sinbad, Kobe & Sinbad
- 'A year ago I was Ian, 16 stone with 14-inch bicep...
- Skloot goes for a dip in the pond
- Tosh moved theology up a notch, says Canon Ernle G...
- The Evil Mooch telling Sinbad lies about Kobe
- Key to mental 'resilience' found
- JK Rowling outs Dumbledore as gay
- Today 20 October 2007
- Limbaugh Sells Critical Letter for $2.1 Million
- Gordon Bennett! Revealed for the first time, the m...
- Shock at SA reggae star shooting
- Jang Dong-gun on CNN's Talk Asia
- 'They thought I was cursed'
- Warning: Fun ahead
- 'Princess Hours' Star Joo Ji Hoon to Join Movie 'A...
- Shorter people 'have a chip on their shoulder whic...
- Mooch meets Sinbad // Sinbad & Kobe
- Moochzilla attacks a tree!!!!!
- Kobe & his new cousin Sinbad
- The STALIN / 勉強ができない
- Do you have a nasty little pussy destroying your f...
- I FN LOVE BAKI & GASTUNK!!!!!!! Dead Song, Husk & ...
- Vatican Official Insists He's Not Gay
- Mexican ex-prostitutes find home
- Pop Quiz: DEBORAH HARRY
- OPUS: A BRIEF TATTO OF BUSH
- hmmmm - why isn't there a lily in the tub?
- Kobe & Skloot today!
- Kobe & a not so dead Moochie
- Dead Moochie, Swimming Skloot & ^%&#%!!!!!
- Anti-Flag - A Benefit For Victims Of Violent Crime...
- Lee Jun Ki to Play A Gangster in Korean Drama 'Ilj...
- S.F. library requesting everyday photos from gay c...
- The Avengers' current tour helps fans relive punk ...
- 1978: Sex Pistol Vicious on murder charge
- Woman Jailed for 50 Days Over Cat Urine
- HAPPY B-DAY DAD!!
- Korean Dramas Win Global Attention
- Kimura Takuya Sets Busan on Fire
- School of Shock
- Techies take on spam zombies
- FACTBOX-Bird flu's spread around the globe
- City doctor evaluated deadly brain-eating ameba
- The Stalin - Artist (1982 New Rock Festival)
- BUCK-TICK / スピード (RISING SUN ROCK FESTIVAL 2007)
- MOSQUITO SPIRAL "LOVE IN VEIN"
- The assassination of Chauncey Bailey, tireless adv...
- Number of Homeless Families Rises
- Internet's unsung guardians labor in obscurity to ...
- Drawn to a dark side
- Skloot & Kobe today
- water flower in the morning & afternoon
- Old-time treatment speeds healing for people and p...
- TRANSFORM COLUMBUS DAY 2007
- Henry Rollins is ready to talk business
- Japan's oldest geisha marks her 99th birthday
- Chimpanzees, Unlike Humans, Apply Economic Princip...
- Women condemn Turkey constitution
- Atheists arise: Dawkins spreads the A-word among A...
- Russian Patriarch Calls Homosexuality an "Illness"...
- HAPPY B-DAY LYNNE-BO!!!
- Burma protests
- Despite Awareness Campaigns, Breast Cancer Myths L...
- Chosun-Period Pornographic Play Discovered
- Chocolate 'aids fatigue syndrome'
- Folks in leather, chaps and thongs throng Folsom S...
- ▼ October (92)