Rap mogul wants racist lyrics ban
Russell Simmons is chairman of the Hip-Hop Summit Action NetworkThe founder of legendary hip-hop label Def Jam has called for three sexist and racist words to be banned from songs.
Russell Simmons said there was "growing public outrage" about the use of the terms, which he said should be viewed as the same as "extreme curse words".
He asked broadcasters and record companies to voluntarily remove, bleep or delete the words from music.
And he suggested setting up an industry watchdog to recommend guidelines for lyrical and visual standards.
'History of oppression'
Simmons, the pioneering entrepreneur whose label has released music by Public Enemy, Run DMC and the Beastie Boys, objects to the use of "nigger", "ho" and "bitch".
He said: "The words 'bitch' and 'ho' are utterly derogatory and disrespectful of the painful, hurtful, misogyny that, in particular, African-American women have experienced in the United States as part of the history of oppression, inequality, and suffering of women.
"The word 'nigger' is a racially derogatory term that disrespects the pain, suffering, history of racial oppression, and multiple forms of racism against African-Americans and other people of colour."
Last week, Simmons called a private meeting of influential music industry executives to discuss the issue.
But no music executives were associated with the announcement by Simmons' Hip-Hop Summit Action Network.
Simmons added: "It is important to re-emphasise that our internal discussions with industry leaders are not about censorship.
"Our discussions are about the corporate social responsibility of the industry to voluntarily show respect to African-Americans and other people of colour, African-American women and to all women in lyrics and images."
His comments follow the sacking of US DJ Don Imus for referring to the players on the Rutgers university women's basketball team as "nappy-headed hos".
- ► 2010 (62)
- ► 2009 (261)
- ► 2008 (219)
- Skloot running into the bushes
- Sunday's videos
- not here
- They Don't know where Skloot is
- Mooch & I looking for Skloot
- Kuan Yin in the garden
- Saturday's Videos
- Me today
- Fascist America, in 10 easy steps
- China Gets Punk’d
- Man cuts off penis in restaurant
- Rap mogul wants racist lyrics ban
- Sunday's videos
- coughing up bunny & cow guts
- If I don't move - they can't see me
- Chinese epic loses the plot as actors quit £40m pr...
- How can limbo just be abolished?
- Rockers who flirt with the Heil life
- Punk icon Iggy Pop turns 60, dives off stage
- Kobe feeling faint after getting a tax refund
- Moochie after she did her taxes on 16th
- Saturday Videos
- Sunday's videos
- In his father's footsteps
- Transgender Star and Fiancé Pose for Wedding Photo...
- The lighter side of Hitchcock
- Sex ed fails to raise teen abstinence
- I have idiopathic vestibular syndrome. It makes ...
- Dedicated followers of fascism
- Having fun with aliens in Edo
- Vatican ambassador to boycott Holocaust memorial i...
- Sperm made from human bone marrow
- Friday's Videos
- Pope Says Evolution Can't Be Proven
- Chimps Use Caves to Beat the Heat, Scientists Find...
- DNA indicates human sacrifices involved people fro...
- Mike Ness interview
- Outrage at India menstrual form
- Forty-part TV show remembers Lee
- Skloot & Kobe
- 'Depression' actually may be normal grief
- Q & A With Sonny Chiba by Aaron Yamasato (1 Apr 20...
- Actor Jang Dong-gun to Star in Hollywood Film
- Andrew Lin accepts LoveHKFilm Award for Most Unde...
- Looking for the Easter Bunny
- Don't make me body slam you cat!!
- ▼ April (49)